Health and wellbeing

Funding level: £10,001 to £25,000

Description

Tadley Calleva Youth Football Club was founded in 1971 and have since grown to be the largest youth football club in Hampshire, with over 300 children across 26 teams ranging from under 6 to under 18.

We are proud to hold the status of Charter Standard with the FA, we adhere to their Respect policy and their Fair Play code of conduct. Our vision is to be ‘A Club that has enriched the lives of thousands of people’ which we aim to achieve through our values of inclusivity and football for all.

As a result, we run mixed sex, mixed ability teams, a dedicated girls team, and through our affiliation with the Senior section of the Club, we share facilities with their 4 adult teams and the Tadley Statin Strollers; a team for the over 50s who want to participate in walking football.

Tadley and the surrounding villages have a population of 20,000 yet there is a very rural and remote feel, and more significantly there is a dearth of leisure facilities. It is 7 miles to Basingstoke and 10 miles to both Reading and Newbury, with public transport taking up to an hour to get there, leaving local children with very limited access. This, combined with our popularity within the community, has meant that it is becoming increasingly difficult to accommodate everyone and we’ve found ourselves having to spend up to £30,000 per year to hire pitches, many of which are of a poor standard and outside of the town. As a non-profit organization, these funds come from donations and sponsorship which our volunteers often struggle to secure.

Not only that, but as a prominent organisation within the area we are often approached by other local groups with a request to let them use our facilities. We recently had to turn away Tadley Running Club, another not for profit group providing fitness and friendship for children, who are looking for a home over the winter months while the evenings are dark. Our over-used and poorly floodlit pitches simply couldn't accommodate it and so the running club are now at risk of disbanding.

As a result The Club has a stated objective of raising funds to build a community sports hub, consisting of multi-purpose, all-weather pitches with floodlights. This would allow us to continue to prosper, to welcome even more children into the Club, and for them all to play at Barlows Park, the home of Tadley Calleva Football Club. There is land available adjacent to the current pitches at Barlows Park which the land owner is willing to donate, and a feasibility study into the new pitches has recently been conducted. With 10% of the costs coming from a donor (or a sponsor with the possibility of naming rights), the Club has ascertained that it could then apply for grants from local authorities and sports trusts for the remaining 90% and move ahead with the development.

The new facilities would allow for the Football Club and various other groups to function within the town and would provide a moderate revenue stream for Tadley Calleva Youth Football Club in support of a self sufficient and sustainable non-profit model.

And so with the generous help of Avia, the Club could continue it's mission of enriching lives within the community.

Tadley Calleva Youth Football Club

Moment of Pride

We are incredibly proud of our 'football for all' ethos and our focus on inclusivity over sporting achievement. As a result we run Development Squads meaning those who are less able and who might otherwise suffer from low self esteem are fully involved in a team that is appropriate to their ability.

Location: Tadley